Standard OS File Transfers
Linux and Mac OS X users needing to transfer files to/from LCRC should use their standard Operating System Command Line tools for smaller data sizes. These include tools such as rsync and scp. The tools are installed on LCRC login nodes. You should consult the manuals for these tools on their specific usage as they may change over time.
In addition to the LCRC preferred SSH application (PuTTY), Windows users needing to transfer files should use PuTTY SCP (PSCP). Alternative, WinSCP is available. Please refer to the manuals for these tools on their specific usage as they may change over time.
Globus for Large File Transfers
Aside from standard tools like scp and rsync, LCRC offers Globus Online for large file transfers. Globus Online is a free online service that simplifies data movement and addresses the challenges faced by researchers in moving, sharing, and archiving large volumes of data among distributed sites. With Globus Online, you hand-off data movement tasks to a hosted service that manages the entire operation: monitoring performance and errors, retrying failed transfers, correcting problems automatically whenever possible, and reporting status to keep you informed so that you can focus on your research. Command line and web-based interfaces are available.
- Register for a Globus Online account.
- Sign in to Globus Online (using your Globus Online username and password)
- Select Transfer Files in the top bar.
- On the Transfer Files page, you can view the list of available endpoints by clicking the text field labeled Endpoint.
- You can use the LCRC endpoint “LCRC DTN” as well as other sources or destinations.
- You can type letters into the box to filter endpoints.
- Once you select the LCRC endpoint, you will be redirected to an LCRC OAuth authentication portal. Simply use your LCRC username and password to authenticate and you should be redirected back to Globus automatically. If you have forgotten your LCRC username and/or password, please visit our support page for help.
- You will see a listing of the contents of your home directory in LCRC. Double click on a directory to view its contents.
- Select a file or directory and click on the highlighted arrow button to initiate the transfer.
Transferring Data Between LCRC and Your Machine
To transfer data between LCRC and your laptop or desktop, you can install Globus Connect Personal on your machine and access it via Globus Online. Globus Connect is available as a one-click install for Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Install Globus Connect Personal following the instructions for your operating system.
- Run Globus Connect Personal. When you run Globus Connect Personal for the first time, it will ask you for a setup key.
- On the Globus Online web page, select Endpoints on the menu bar. Click on add Globus Connect Personal endpoint, and enter an endpoint name (eg., mylaptop) to identify your machine on Globus Online.
- Click Generate Setup Key
- Copy the setup key and paste it into the Globus Connect Personal window to complete the setup process.
You should now see your machine in the list of endpoints on Globus Online. You can select it to view the contents of your machine and transfer files to and from it as above.