Standard OS File Transfers
Linux and Mac OS X users needing to transfer files to/from LCRC should use their standard Operating System Command Line tools for smaller data sizes. These include tools such as rsync and scp. The tools are installed on LCRC login nodes. You should consult the manuals for these tools on their specific usage as they may change over time.
In addition to the LCRC preferred SSH application (PuTTY), Windows users needing to transfer files should use PuTTY SCP (PSCP). Alternative, WinSCP is available. Please refer to the manuals for these tools on their specific usage as they may change over time.
Globus for Large File Transfers
Aside from standard tools like scp and rsync, LCRC offers Globus for large file transfers. Globus is a free online service that simplifies data movement and addresses the challenges faced by researchers in moving, sharing, and archiving large volumes of data among distributed sites. With Globus, you hand-off data movement tasks to a hosted service that manages the entire operation: monitoring performance and errors, retrying failed transfers, correcting problems automatically whenever possible, and reporting status to keep you informed so that you can focus on your research. Command line and web-based interfaces are available.
- Sign in to Globus using either your Argonne Domain or Collaborator credentials by selecting Argonne National Laboratory from the existing organizational list or alternatively signing up for and using your Globus username and password.
- Select File Manager from the side bar.
- On the File Manager page, you can view and search the list of available endpoints by clicking the text field labeled Collection.
- You can use the LCRC endpoint lcrc#dtn_bebop as well as other sources or destinations.
- You can type letters into the box to filter endpoints.
- Once you select the LCRC endpoint, click the Continue button below where it is asking you to authenticate and you will be redirected to an LCRC OAuth authentication portal. Simply use your Argonne Domain or Collaborator username and password to authenticate and you should be redirected back to Globus automatically. If you have forgotten your Argonne username and/or password, please visit our support page for help.
- You will see a listing of the contents of your home directory in LCRC. Double click on a directory to view its contents.
- Select a file or directory and click on the highlighted arrow button to initiate the transfer.
Transferring Data Between LCRC and Your Machine
To transfer data between LCRC and your laptop or desktop, you can install Globus Connect Personal on your machine and access it via Globus. Globus Connect Personal is available as a one-click install for Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Install Globus Connect Personal following the instructions for your operating system.
- Run Globus Connect Personal on your local machine. The Globus Connect Personal webpage can walk you through the setup instructions.
You should now see your machine in the list of endpoints on Globus. You can select it to view the contents of your machine and transfer files to and from it as above.